If you are planning to visit Nepal, you will need to apply for a visa. Tourist visas can be obtained from Nepali embassies or consulates abroad. You can also get a visa on arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu or any other land border crossing point between Nepal and India. How to Apply for a Visa to Nepal: A Step-by-Step Guide like this can help you.
Nepal Tourist Visa Requirements
To apply for a Nepal Tourist Visa, you require the following documents:
- Nepal Tourist Visa Application Form ( filled online and printed )
- Your valid, six-month passport which has two blank visa pages.
- Few photocopies of your passport’s personal information page
- 1 passport-size photo (1.5″x1.5″) when you apply for the visa.
- Proof of stay in Nepal (such as a hotel or an address)
- Valid air ticket back to your country.
- Proof of sufficient financial means, such as bank statements of 3 to 6 months.
- Nepal Visa fee payment proof.
How to Apply for a Nepal Tourist Visa?
There are two methods for obtaining a visa for Nepal:
- Visa on Arrival : Upon arrival to the Nepal airport or border crossing from indian side.
- Applying prior to arriving : At the nearest Nepal diplomatic embassies abroad.
Applying for a Nepal Visa On Arrival
Following countries need to get a visa before they travel to Nepal, while everyone else can obtain a Nepal visa on arrival
- Refugees carrying travel document
Visa is available on arrival at the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu for eligible nationals and can also be issued at any of the following land border crossings points from India to Nepal.
- Belahiya, Bhairahawa
The process to apply for a Nepal visa on arrival is simple and straight-forward.
- Fill out the Nepal visa application form.
- Pay the Nepal visa fee as per the visa.
- A Nepal Visa On Arrival can be obtained from the Immigration Officers at the airport.
Completing the Nepal visa application form.
You can complete the form in two ways.
First is the online visa application form for Nepal : Before traveling to Nepal. You can submit an application here , then print the application form and bring it with you when you travel. This is the preferred method as it prevents long queues at the airport or other border crossings.
Pro Tip : This form is valid for 15 days only. You have to present the form at the airport or border crossing point within 15 days of applying for the visa. Post 15 day all your data will be removed and you might have to again fill this form.
Second is At the airport or land border crossing. There are usually application forms or electronic machines that you can use to complete and download your visa application form at the arrival hall at the airport in Nepal.
Documents required for the visa application ( online or at the kathmandu airport)
- Your valid passport
- A recent passport-size picture, 1.5inch x 1.5inch (electronic for online or printed at the airport )
- The address of where you are staying in Nepal.
Pro Tip : It makes sense, if you complete the online application form before you travel to Nepal. After you print it form, you will also receive the supporting documents you must have with you when you submit the Visa on Arrival application at the airport .
Paying the Nepal Visa Fee.
Once you have completed the Nepal visa application form, simply proceed to pay money at one of the designated banking locations usually at an airport or a border crossing. Collect the receipt.
The fee structure is set depending on the time you’re willing to spend within Nepal.
- For 15 Days: USD 30
- For 30 Days: USD 50
- For 90 Days: USD 125
Applying for the Visa
Go to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and passport. Hand over your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. Congratulation you have the visa to explore Nepal.
Can I Apply for a Nepal Visa Online?
No, you cannot submit a Nepal visa application entirely online. However, you do have to complete the Nepal Tourist Visa Application Form online. After you complete the online application form, print it, sign it, and submit it along with the required documents when you apply for the visa on arrival or at the Nepalese diplomatic mission.
Nepal does not issue eVisas.Nepal Tourist Visas can only be obtained on arrival in nepal or from one of the Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad in your country.
How Long Can I Stay in Nepal With a Tourist Visa ?
When traveling to Nepal, visitors are able to apply for a 15-day, 30-day or 90-day Tourist Visa. The fees will vary depending on the length of stay you plan.
How Can I Extend a Nepal Visa ?
To extend your visa, head to the headquarters of the Immigration Department in Kathmandu. They are authorise to extend tourist and non-tourist visas.
The Immigration Office in Pokhara is only authorized to extend tourist visas.
You have to apply for an extension of your Nepal visa prior to its expiry. It costs USD 45 to extend a tourist visa for up to 15 more days. For each additional day after that, you’ll pay an extra USD 3 fee each day.
Nepal Visa Fees ?
TThe fee for a tourist visa to Nepal changes depending on the number of days it is issued for.
- Nepal Tourist Visa fee for up to 15 Days: USD 30
- Nepal Tourist Visa fee for up to 30 Days: USD 50
- Nepal Tourist Visa fee for up to 90 Days: USD 125
Do Indian citizens need visa for Nepal ?
No, Indian citizen needs no visa for Nepal. The Nepalese Official seeks some identity document of indians.
Exemption from Visa Fees of Nepal.
Nationals of South Asian countries like Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka are exempt from visa fees for the first visit in a visa year for up to 30 days.